I thought I would make a list of the reasons why I love my Kindle.
- It is easy to carry in my backpack and only weighs 370 grams which is less than a large paperbook. Also, it doesn’t take a lot of space.
- Inexpensive – $129 for the Kindle which is a lot less than an iPod.
- The screen is very easy to read and no eyestrain because of the “digital ink” technology. The Kindle can be read in direct sunlight and doesn’t cause glare like an iPad or phone. Because the screen is not backlit it can’t be used in low light situations like an iPad but that doesn’t worry me.
- A battery charge lasts for about 30 days of daily use.
- No distractions! When I read, I read because there are no other applications like email or Facebook!
- The Kindle can be read with one hand and the page forward button pressed with one finger.
- When I turn it on again, it opens at the page I left off so I can start reading again quickly. No bookmark required.
- I can carry a lot of books on the 2GB storage so there is no danger of running out of reading. Usually I read one book at a time.
- Project Gutenberg has a lot of books available for download in MOBI format
- The built in dictionary is very useful. Recently I read John Steinbeck’s Grapes of Wrath and there were many words I needed to look up. These related to agriculture and no longer in common use.
- I can highlight text and type notes. These are saved in a clippings text file which can be easily retrieved via the USB connection.
- Ebooks can be made in MOBI format using the Calibre program. This is useful for converting EPUB format. The Kindle can read PDF files but they are tricky to navigate.
- No colour – not essential but it would be fun. The new Kindle Fire is colour.
- A touch interface would be convenient (like an iPad) but the buttons work for me. My friend has a new Kindle touch and I tried it out. Her Kindle is a bit smaller and a lot lighter, but I am not planning to upgrade. I would prefer to get the most out of my black and white model.
I do read books and will continue to borrow library books and enjoy books from my library. Now I prefer to use the Kindle for reading on the train.