The recipe is from Italian Country Cooking by Susanna Gelmetti (c) 1996 Simon and Schuster.
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 onions roughly chopped
- 3 chicken breasts (about 800 g) chopped into small pieces
- 120 ml white wine (chill the wine at least an hour before cooking then you can enjoy a glass of wine while you cook as well as with the meal!)
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary, chopped finely
- 100g black olives, pitted, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- salt and freshly ground pepper
Heat the olive oil in a heavy pan, then add the onions. When they begin to soften and brown, add the chicken pieces, turning to coat in the olive oil. They should be browned lightly on both sides after about 10 minues. Add the white wine. Turn the heat down, cover and simmer for about45 minutes. You may need to a little more wine. The meat should be tender and juicy.
About 5 minutes before the end of the cooking, remove the lid, turn up the heat and add the chopped rosemary. olives, garlic and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper. Stir well and serve very hot.
I usually serve with spiral pasta and either steamed green beans or a salad of lettuce and tomato, depending on the season.
Serves 4 people.