I bought the Korean cucumbers at the local Korean grocery shop, and I found them to be very tasty.
Here is the recipe and some photos of how to make this salad.
- 2 Korean cucumbers
- ½ onion
- 1 teaspoon Korean chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon Korean chilli paste
- 1 teaspoon malt syrup or honey
- rice vinegar
- sesame seeds
1. Slide the cucumbers very thin, place in a bowl and mix with a teaspoon of salt.
2. Slide the onion very thinly and place in a mixture of water and tablespoon of rice vinegar. Put the bowl in the refrigerator
3. Mix three crushed cloves of garlic, Korean Chilli powder, Korean chilli paste, malt syrup or honey, 1 teaspoon rice vinegar and 2 teaspoons sesame seeds.
4. Rinse the cucumbers, drain off excess water and add to the dressing
5. Drain the onion and add to the cucumber and dressing.
6. Mix thoroughly.
The salad is best served chilled so keep it in the refrigerator until ready to eat.
My recipe is based on this recipe from the Zenkimchi.com web site.