In this article I give you the recipe for bulgogi made with meat but we have tried pork, chicken and tofu.
You will need a portable gas stove and a barbecue plate. Both items can be purchased from a Korean grocery shop.
- Sliced rib eye or “boolgogi” beef. I slice the meat myself using a very sharp Chinese cleaver
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons Korean malt syrup (mool yut)
- 2 cloves garlic – crushed
- Black pepper
- 1 green onion, sliced into half inch pieces
- Capsicum – sliced into small strips
- Mushrooms – sliced thinly
Mix the soy sauce, sesame, oil, sugar, syrup, garlic, salt and pepper in a bowl.
Add the sliced meat and mix so that all the pieces are coated with the marinade.
Put the bowl in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, preferably one hour.
When ready to cook, heat up the barbecure plate and cook the meat. Don’t add the marinade or the sugar will caramelise and blacken the plate.
Add the vegetables and cook until lightly browned.
Serve with rice, kimchi and other side dishes such as lightly sauteed carrots.
If you are wondering about the mushrooms – they are grown in Australia and packaged for export to Korea!