- 2 tablespoons ghee (you can use vegetable oil)
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder (I grind my spices)
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon salt flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 250 grams dried chickpeas – soak in water overnight then boil for about 20 minutes
- 3 cm piece of fresh ginger – chopped finely
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1/2 bunch fresh coriander finely chopped
- 4 small tomatoes coarsely chopped
Heat the ghee then add onion. Cook until onion is clear and starting to go brown.
Add the ground spices, sugar, turmeric and salt and stir for about a minute.
Drain the chick peas then add to the pan – stir for about a minute.
Add about 1/4 cup of hot water. This will deglaze the saucepan and mix the spices with the chickpeas.
Add the chopped tomatoes and coriander, stir then cover the pan. Simmer for approximately five minutes.
Serve with basmati rice and side dishes.
Photos of cooking in progress
Click on a photo to view full size.
Cooked chickpeas and the cooked onion and spices.
Cooking the mixture
Served on a plate